Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sticks And Stones

 Old Phrase That My Grandma Used To Tell Me Whenever Braxton Would Anger Me, "Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones But Words Will Never Hurt You"
-over the years and maybe even when she used to tell me this i knew for a fact that this was a false statement trying to prevent you from getting your feelings hurt and well it never did. sometimes being hit with harsh words is far worse then taking any blow from a random stone. i know for a fact that i can hurt peoples feeling far worse with words then i could with any physical action that i could take. how could such small meaningful or meaningless words do so much damage to one person phycological well being when a rock doesnt nearly do as much damage in your physical self. why is it this way? why do words affect us so much? is this a learned trait that we just get or is a natural thing to take words that people say as a personal and meaningful statement. words are the things that cause teen suicides, words are the things that cause people to do stupid things, and words are the things that cause people to feel bad about themselves. rocks dont hurt people for maybe a few minutes or for a second or two. so why do people even say this false statement i wonder. and why are words there to be able to be used as insults and to harm others. is it to hide your own self concious issues.
     I for one am beginning to learn that for one, my words are usually very hurtful when i mean them to and even whenever i dont intentionally mean to. and i also think that i need to stop being so rude with my words        >.< or i could always throw stones at people instead :3

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite thing you have ever written!!! I could go on and on, but it is late. So I'll go on and on later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words do hurt a lot. There are things I remember being said to me over 15 years ago. I have to convince myself that isn't true anymore or wasn't ever true. For some reason, I don't remember the good ones so much though. They say a person needs 5 positive things to counteract 1 negative. I wonder why that is. Realizing it is the first step to fixing it. It makes sense that James said the taming the tongue is the hardest thing to do. That is my paraphrase by the way.

    ReplyDelete